Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Saturday, December 13, 2008

How to Be Your Own Model Tutorial

Ideally to model your wearable items you'd find someone else to be your model. Or have a camera with a self-timer mode. But what if you don't have the luxury of either of those? I use the old "pose in the mirror and photograph your reflection" trick.1) Stand in front of mirror making sure ugly background things are not visible.
2) Assume a pose.
3) Hold camera away from your body and point it at the mirror. You will *NOT* be able to see through the viewfinder, so just guess.
4) Hold the camera as still as possible.
5) Click. Reposition. Click again. Take a bunch of photos.
6) Review pics. There will always be a few nice shots! Even though it might not seem like it at first, careful cropping will give you quite a few to choose from. Although the larger the item you are modeling, the more likely part of the camera will show.

Here's me using the technique to photograph myself in a lacy caplet. I made 2 of these for Christmas gifts and thought they were so cute, I made myself one too :) It gives a bit of warmth while still letting me have full mobility of my arms. Perfect for late night winter crafting in my cold studio!

You can see a bit of the camera in the second shot, but these are just for me so I'm OK with that. I think the top photo turned out pretty well!

Now... off to finish wrapping and get my caplets in the post!

No comments: