Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Free Pattern: Drop Stitch Scarf

Scarfs are usually thought of as a winter accessory to warm and protect against inclement weather, but scarfs can actually be worn all year long... it just depends how you make them and what you make them out of. A drop stitch scarf is not only lovely to look at, but the huge slits in it created by the dropped stitches create an airy, lightweight fabric that lets cool breezes through. Wool is not a great choice for warmer weather, so you'd want to stick with cool cotton or .... ribbon yarn! Ribbon yarn is thin and thick at the same time, comes in a dazzling array of colors, many of them multi-colored. This is one I recently made in a vibrant, shimmery ribbon yarn.Drop stitch scarfs are VERY easy to make and work up very quickly with a minimum of yarn. I've never needed more than one normal-sized skein per scarf. You can find a free pattern for this scarf here. It is suitable for beginning knitters and the results, whatever yarn used, are always very satisfying. Fringe (not pictured) is optional, but highly, highly recommended to add.

14 comments:

Wildflowerhouse said...

Oh I love the scarf. I shall have to try this one. Thanks Sharon

Anonymous said...

What a pretty scarf ! I love the light feel of the "open" pattern, and the colors are exquisite.
It looks...delicious, really !

NeereAnDear said...

Hey you thanks for stopping by and al the well wishes.... I am doing better.... and I so appreciate the kindness of friends...

I absolutely adore this scarf!! Its gorgeous.... the colors are stunning and I love the texture...

Sorry to hear your sone had a rough time and I am so glad to know he is doing better...

LOTS OF HUGS AND THANKS FOR THE POSITIVE VIBES

LOVE JO

Mary Timme said...

Wonderful! I love it and the whole idea of it. Good to see you back making posts.

Hmmmmm or is it me back making comments? Either way it is good.

Gracie said...

Ahh lovely! I wish I could knit. I'm really loving scarfs lately, both knitted and the other silky types. Thanks for your lovely comments. The wedding is moving along but time is also moving along!

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm Sharon as well. I love this scarf and can't wait to make it. Unfortunately I have to make two baby afghans by the end of Oct. My niece & nephew are having babies one day apart, so this will have to wait abit, but I'm going to get the yarn tomorrow.

Great Website

Artifax said...

Hi Sharon! How wonderful to welcome 2 new babies into your extended family. What lucky babies to each receive a beautiful handcrafted blanket.

I'm glad you like the drop-stitch scarf pattern. It's a great design and works up quickly with stunning results. I'd love to see pics of your scarf when its finished :) Have a fabulous day!
~~Artifax

Unknown said...

Drop Stitch Scarf: You can find a free pattern for this scarf 'here.'
When you click on the link, 'here', it gives you a window that says, 'Sorry! This site is temporary unavailable! Please advise where I can obtain said pattern.
I thank you,
Tom

Unknown said...

Could you please update the link?

Anonymous said...

Please help me find the pattern. I clicked "here" and it said not available. Please help. I really want to make this scarf. Will any blogger please post it?

Julie Ann said...

Many thanks for the pattern can’t wait to do it! x

Julie Ann said...

Oh dear the link doesn’t work! 😔

joan moretz-pera said...

The link doesn’t work??

Anonymous said...

No it didn't work