Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Friday, May 22, 2009

Free Pattern: Simplicity Summer Scarf

I needed a quick graduation gift and had been toying with a vine trellis / flower crochet concept for a while, and suddenly, it all just came together! Five hours later ... and this cute, lightweight summer scarf was ready to be wrapped up.

You can see a hint of my famous pumpkin wall in that last shot. And I still can't believe how well that bust made of paper mache turned out! All my jewelry busts were, alas, short and neckless, so after a couple of layers of handmade paper (the cool stuff, with flower petals and leaves pressed in it) and many, many coats of Modgepodge .. Ta Da! You many recognize it from the photos of the scarflettes, its photographic debut :) I am *so* in love with the greater versatility of having a neck!!

If you crochet and want to make a similar pattern, I'm offering it for free on this page. If you make a scarf from the pattern or find wording in the pattern that could be improved, let me know!

Gosh, it is lovely to not have that page be completely empty anymore! Lots of firsts involved .. my first digital pattern, my first PDF, my first HTML to get the PDF to download... etc., etc. Ah .. I love learning new things! :D

8 comments:

Mary Timme said...

I'm an admirer of making your own thing. Especially when you can do it so well!

NeereAnDear said...

TRE DARLING!!! TRE CHIC!!!

I SO love love love this scarf....however.... when I went to read that "simple" pattern it was all greek to me.... guess I might have to take a clss in crochet...

LOTS OF HUGS DEAR ONE
JO

Gracie said...

Ohh my that is absolutely beautiful! That scarf is so lovely. I wish I could crochet but thanks for the pattern. Well done on everything you have made =) So fantastic!

Heather said...

very pretty!!!

Waterrose said...

What a lovely, romantic scarf!

Jamie said...

Oh, I love your pumpkin wall!!! My husband likes ecru walls! LOL!! Your blog looks so lovely sweetie and the scarf is yummy. I can't crochet or knit:( Hope your week has started off wonderfully! Love, Jamie

marchair said...

I'm trying to make your scarf, but one little bit confuses me. Where it says "skip (2 ch, 1 sc, 2 ch)" I am not sure what to do on that last "2 ch." Does it mean to chain only 2 (rather than chaining 5, as previously) before doing the next sc? Or does it mean to skip 2 ch again after doing the sc? Or to skip everything within the brackets? Thanks for the pattern! I'm looking forward to completing the scarf. :-)

Artifax said...

Hi Marchair! It means to skip everything in the brackets, so you would skip 2 ch, the sc, and then 2 more sc.

I can see why you were confused though .. when I went back to the pattern to take a look at the instructions, I discovered that row had an error that crept in somehow in the pattern. Apologies! I have uploaded the new corrected pattern for downloading. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)