Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Letter Writing in the Yoshiwara

The Yoshiwara was a famous walled and licensed entertainment quarter during the Tokugawa regime in feudal Japan (1600-1868). This beautiful Oiran (high class courtesan) living in the Yoshiwara is composing a letter to a male admirer. Also present in the room is her Kamuro (young assistant/apprentice). Let's eavesdrop on what they are saying!



I couldn't resist doing this! It was just too much fun! These were such beautiful Ukiyo-e pictures and all the women were missing were some jeweled accessories. :)

Stay tuned next post for mail love! My mail box has been delivering the most tasty crafty treats I can't wait to share with you!

12 comments:

Gracie said...

hehe thats a really cute idea. I love how you added the text. Very sweet! The hoop earrings with the pink are lovely

Anonymous said...

How funny and creative. This post really made me smile. Nice earrings too!

Jen said...

Hee hee hee, these are so cute! The pictures really are lovely, and even more so, I imagine, with the earrings. :)

KV said...

You are a treasure!


Kathy V in NM

Anonymous said...

Your detail is exquisite; I love the Morrocan tea photo. The colors are rich and luxurious.
Alexandra
silverbellcottage.blogspot.com

Lizzy said...

Too funny, and lovely earrings! :) Can't wait to see the mail love you've been getting!

Mary Timme said...

Oh, I'm so loving this and it is bringing joy to my sense of humor, just tickling my fancy! Now, I have to leave the room and gaffaw for a bit.

Susan Tuttle said...

What a clever idea!!--the look very 'bejeweled!"

Susan
xox

LindaSonia said...

What a FABULOUS display/sell idea. Love it! LindaSonia (baddabinda@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most clever "ads" that I have seen in a long time! I LOVE what you did with these pictures...especially with incorporating your jewelry pieces into the design. Very attractive and eye-catching!!

Anonymous said...

Bejewelled ~ So nice to hear from you. Tomorrow peanutbutter chocolate cream cookies. I love your red crocheted hair pins.
Alexandra
silverbellcottage.blogspot.com

Maggie R said...

Hi there.... Your creativity makes my heart sing!
Thanks for sharing!
((((hugs))))
Maggie