Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Thank You & Little Birds

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who stopped by to comment on my little paper dresses and the swap! You are all so fabulously sweet and such wonderful souls!! This is what I love so much about blogland - all the giving and sharing and warmth of this fabulous creative community. Thanks so much everyone! It will take me a few days to catch up on all the e-mails and comments. My two little kids started school today (pre-K and 1st grade) so its an eventful day here for the family.
For those who joined the swap, I've been thinking of how to display our fabulous swapped dresses! I've seen them strung on ribbon like a garland and on doll hangers, but I was playing around and came up with the graceful hanger above. It's a simple piece of 20 gauge craft wire where the ends are curled up into loose spirals. A length of ribbon is tied into a circle with a bow and then slipped under the spirals. The dress is attached with small clothes pins. Too cute!

I will be sending out e-mails with swap partners on Thursday, Sept. 6th . If you do NOT receive an e-mail from me by Friday morning, Sept. 7th, please e-mail me right away at the address in the sidebar. If you haven't joined the swap yet and would like to, there's still time! Just leave a comment on the prior post. We have quite a few international participants and while the dresses will be small enough to fit in a large envelope, if you are uncomfortable shipping internationally for any reason, please e-mail me privately.

And look what's been cooking in the studio! Where do you dry birds-on-a-stick? Why in the pages of one's unabridged dictionary, of course! I had a hand full of toothpicks with wet paint birds and realized I didn't have a block of styrofoam to set them in. Looked around desperately for a few moments, then happened to look down and see the dictionary ... perfect! My two boys and I have been diligently watching some sky blue eggs in a robin's nest hatch into cute little fledglings, so I have baby birds on the brain :)
And here my little painted baby birds are all grown up as earrings and ready to fly away :)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

lol birds on a stick

roseroomnz.com said...

Love how you 'hung' your dress! And the birds on sticks! Looking forward to the swap.
Have a good day - Rachael oxo

Roxie Morrow said...

I can't wait to see who my partner will be in very first swap. I just can't wait!
Those birds on a stick are just too cute. I didn't realize the size of them until I saw them as earrings. Whoa! They are tiny lil things huh? Love'em!

Betty said...

What a cute hanger. I am going to have to try that. Love your little birdies too!

Lizzy said...

Gorgeous birdies!

Gracie said...

Those are adorable!! Great idea for the display of dresses by the way. I can't wait to see them. I'm bummed I wasn't able to participate but I think I will try next time.
And check out my blog. I think you will like the group I have recently joined =)

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Wow, your birds are so cute! great job!

kecia deveney said...

hello! cute blog! love the birds - i'm a bird nut! are they handmade or something i can get my hands on!

kecia

Lori said...

those earrings are adorable!!
clever idea for hanging the dresses, very cute!!

bluemuf said...

Gread idea for displaying the dresses. And I love the little birds.

I'm enjoying your blog and will start reading the archives tomorrow. I'm having so much fun.

Karen
Bluemuf

12 Days of Christmas Swap said...

I just love your birds, and have enjoyed reading your blog, I feel this is going to be so addictive -so much to see and read

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Your birds are so cute! Great colors, and they look "bejeweled"...just like everything you do.
Lidy

Mary Timme said...

Oh, Oh, it is all too cute! Neat, neat, neat. Love the birds and the diligent watching by the boys.

Susan Tuttle said...

What cute little birdies--love those pink ones!

The dress swap is such a creative idea--hope you have fun with it!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for organzing the dress swap!!! And those birds are just TOO cute!!!