Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Monday, October 08, 2007

When Your Son Wants to be a Slytherin

Autumn weather is here at last! The rains have returned to Oregon and the relatively sudden transition from 90 to 50 degrees has made the trees just snap into the most glorious show of fall I think I've ever seen here.
A U T U M n
Isn't this "Autumn" sign cool? You can make your own custom sign at Spell With Flickr. I saw this over at Pear Street Studios and had to share. Flipping the letters to see all the styles available is so addictive! :)

And fall means baking! Here are some super yummy pumpkin muffins (recipe courtesy of Natalea) the kids and I baked. They vanished quickly, but I managed to shoot this just before they were all devoured. We did a cream cheese frosting and it was delicious with the pumpkin spice cake.

If you are a Harry Potter fan you know there are four houses you can belong to at Hogwarts: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Harry Potter and his friends belong to Gryffindor. So, if you like Harry Potter, shopping for related Gryffindor gear is no problem. He is after all the hero of the story. But what if your son loves Malfoy, a member of Slytherin? What if your son wants to be a Slytherin??? Well, your shopping options, at least around here, just got a lot more limited. So.... with the colder weather and my little guy needing a scarf, I whipped up a Hogwarts style scarf in the Slytherin colors of green and silver. Now my son is super happy wearing his Slytherin gear, and so is Mom knowing her little Slytherin will be warm and toasty this fall! (Personally, I'm a Hermione girl :) but everyone has their own favorite)

For those that knit, it's a really simple pattern, its knits up super fast (mine took 2 days), and you can make it in any of the house color combinations. For a Slytherin scarf: Lion Brand Chenille yarn in Forest Green & Antique White (2 skeins each) knitted in garter stitch on size 17 needles. Use yarn doubled throughout. Cast on 12 stitches. Continue for 11 rows then switch to the other color. Repeat until you have 4 stripes of each color. Fringe with alternating colors (see pic).

There are more swap paper dresses to come! They still needed a little more time in the studio primping for their "fashion shoot" :)

18 comments:

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

love the scarf and the cupcakes!! they look so good!! xo Britt

Jenny Froh said...

Love your name! and LOVE those cupcakes... mmm mmmm!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the cupcakes cream cheese frosting is so yummy. Love the scarf too, although I am a Harry lover.

KV said...

How about having a 28 year-old daughter who calls home from Knoxville, Tennessee and says: "Hey, will you make me a Gryffindor scarf, like real soon?"

Your son looks great in that Slytherin scarf . . .

Kathy V in NM

roseroomnz.com said...

You are a good Mummy, and in two days, I am impressed:)

Anonymous said...

He'll make an adorable little Slytherin :)

Anonymous said...

If only it would get chilly here in Louisiana. I dream of Oregon. Your cupcakes turned out much yummier looking than mine did this weekend. I guess following the instructions helps. he he. If I could knit, I would definitely make a Griffyndor scarf.

Lizzy said...

Heeheee... Your post title made me seriously giggle (the lady in the next cubicle must think I'm crazy, esp. since we're the only ones in here at 7.30 am). Great scarf, and yummy cupcakes. Hmmmm... Love me some good cream cheese frosting!

Lola Enchanted said...

Now I long for Oregon! The cupcakes are pretty and they certainly look yummy! And don't get me started on that scarf!!!! Take care!

Linda said...

Love the Autumn sign, and oh, the cupcakes looks so yummy. Linda

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Look at how cute your son is with his scarf!! I love, love, love Harry Potter! Is he sure he wants to be a Syltherin? hm?

Your pumpking spice cupcakes look delicious! I bet they were even better with the cream cheese frosting! I thought that they were a pic out of a recipe book they look so good!

Thank you for the visit today!

xo,

Becky

Anonymous said...

What fun you have been having. Such sweet dresses.
Alexandra

Gracie said...

Ahh I adore the cupcakes. Looks so yummy I will have to make some.

I wish I could knit. Though I am a Gryffindor girl =) The scarf looks cute.

Thanks for the link to make a custom sign. Something else I will have fun making.

Can't wait to see the rest of the paper dresses xox

12 Days of Christmas Swap said...

oh, how yummy, your baking looks so delicious.

Lori said...

well, i don't knit but that scarf is cute!!! GREAT mail yesterday, my LOVELY earrings came!!! they are just gorgeous...hubby even named them "beautiful" HIGH praise indeed, let me tell ya!!! and the presentation really knocked my socks off!!! just gorgeous!!! thank you so VERY much!!!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog... I am relatively new to this writing thing...trying to get my website up, creating and blogging...is a bit overwhelming but I wouldnt have it any other way... I ADORE your beading projects... I dabble a bit but I am definitely not as good as you....just gorgeous

JO

Pamela Jane said...

Too fun! I should have paid more attention when my mum tried to teach me how to knit :>).

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Heather!!!! I want to thank you for the most beautiful hoop earrings that you sent to me!! I wrote about you today, but more than anything, I want you to know that your jewelry is so pretty and so professionally made! I love my earrings so much! xoxoxo, Becky