Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Monday, March 24, 2008

Spring Arrives in Style

Spring is here! Blue skies, singing birds, blossoms and flowers bursting out everywhere ... it is just beautiful!

Just yesterday, my little 1st grader came in from playing outdoors grinning happily from ear to ear and holding out this bunch of Spring daffodils. "These are for you, Mommy!! Happy Spring!" He was so cute and sweet and it was such a beautiful, thoughtful gesture. We made a big show of putting them in water on the kitchen table. (Yes, I am a Japanese pottery addict). I was, however, a little mortified, because you see... I have never, ever planted daffodils on our property. That means that someone, somewhere in the neighborhood is now missing three daffodils.No illicit flower activities for me, but I have been gathering rushes of pussy willow branches - which I just love to decorate with. A container of dried branches adds instant visual height and a certain sculptural element to any room. If you have cherry trees, a vase of cut flowering cherry branches is a great idea too.
And what a lovely backdrop they make for a glamour shot of one of my Bird's Nest Necklace Deluxe necklaces. These have driven me absolutely batty trying to photograph them, but I finally achieved some decent pictures and they are up on the website. Each one turns out so unique that I decided to list each one separately so you can choose your favorite.
And if you've checked out my etsy site lately, you will see a fresh crop of pink hand crocheted embellished brooches. These are so festive for Spring and look just gorgeous pinned to a shirt, hat, purse or blouse! And each one is one of a kind, so you'll have a true original.

More exciting Jeweled Elegance news: The very sweet and talented Nyx Enchantments is doing a running blog article on etsy sellers and was so kind as to feature me! If you've ever wanted to know more about the inspirations behind Jeweled Elegance, check it out here.

This week is the start of Spring Break for us, so my little guys and I will be busy enjoying the nice weather, going on field trips, working in the garden, and baking yummy goodies. We are not so fortunate as to be able to go on vacation, but we have our copy of The Dangerous Book for Boys on hand (which they adore) and we are going to have some great boy adventures! I hope you all are having a happy Spring!

21 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Sounds like some fun things happening in your place during Spring Break.
Alison

Lori said...

too cute and sweet about the "borrowed" daffodils:) what a darling boy you have Heather!!! i really like your little pink brooches, they are just so pretty!!!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I love those brooches! If it was my garden, I would love it that they went to a little sweetie's Mom!!

:-) Rosie

Sugar Bear said...

Love the daffodil! One of my very favs. Happy spring.
Karla

Heather said...

I can hardly wait until things start blooming here!!!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Happy Spring. Your bird nest necklaces are so gorgeous. My, how I love them.

Gracie said...

Your going into Spring and we are in Autumn though the weather still feels warm here. Your little boy sounds so sweet. The daffodils are beautiful.

I adore your new necklaces...I might have to purchase one for my mum for mothers day which is coming up here. And I love your crocheted brooches. They're lovely. I want to get one for myself =)

You are so talented. You can make jewellery, crochet, do papercrafts. It's great! And thanks for your offer with my Etsy. I'm sure I will have some questions to ask soon.

And I want to get the Dangerous book for girls hehe. I've seen both the boy and girl book.

Lola Enchanted said...

Lovely!~

Jen said...

Beautiful pictures...we're still (impatiently) awaiting spring here.

KV said...

Reminds me of when my oldest two kids (who are now 41 and 39) brought home the most lovely, huge bouquets of goldenrod for me. Problem is they did not know I was allergic to the darn stuff.

I kindly put all of it into a vase and the next day put the vase on the back porch. Sneezed my head off for many days afterward . . .


Kathy V in NM

Monica said...

Congrats on your blog feature! Have fun on Spring Break:)
Monica

AscenderRisesAbove said...

pussy willows are so cool. they dont have those in these parts; i remember crawling in the ditches in the midwest and getting them; waiting for them to open.

ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress

Bristol said...

What beautiful pictures, love them all~
Bristol

xx said...

How sweet he brought you flowers...even if they were from someone else's garden LOL I love the look of pussy willow branches. I think they "go" in any decor and you are right - perfect backdrop for your beautiful necklace! Please send some Spring this way...we got snow again last night :~(

Hopefully this doesn't post multiple times...I keep getting a new screen with authentication letters - geez, am I that dumb????

Anonymous said...

I love your little brooches. What a wonderful project. Great pictures of spring too even though it still doesn't quite feel like it in my neck of the woods.

Have a nice Sunday!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Aren't first graders a "hoot!" I just love them and I enjoyed your story! What a beautiful blog you have, I am having an adventure reading through it! Thanks for visiting mine. I hope your Spring stays as wonderful as it is already sounding! Blessings, Katie

Rachel said...

Pink is the new awesome! Lovely stuff...

Cynthia said...

Beautiful work I really must try to crochet more. Never really took to it preferred knitting. I am going to try and make the felt ribbon rose. Thanks for sharing your talent.

Susan Tuttle said...

The joys of Spring!! You are a lucky gal!!

Beautiful brooches - so unique.

My latest blog post will make you shiver.

Susan
xo

Waterrose said...

I'm sure whomever the flowers belonged to would be thrilled that they were picked for a child as a gift to mom! Lovely story and I love your crocheted broaches!

Mary Timme said...

Wow! I knew I was behind in my comments and reading blogs, but this is somewhat shameful. I love the daffodils . . . purlionled though they be.