Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Friday, July 01, 2011

First Lace-Weight Shawl

I'v been busy on the crochet front working my first lace-weight yarn shawl. This stuff is like working with a thick spiderweb! Very delicate. I'm doing the Midsummer Twilight Shawl from Interweave Crochet.


This is the first time I have used Knit Picks yarn, a popular mail-order yarn company. It's not great for ordering a ball or two, because of the shipping costs, but if you meet the minimum for free shipping, it's a good deal. I also ordered my first pair of 16" circular knitting needles from them in that beautiful Harmony Wood product line. I've also heard good things about Jimmy Beans Wool as an on-line supplier, although I haven't tried them yet.


I'm about 60% of the way done with the shawl. To be honest, it doesn't really look like much right now, but I've heard that the magic of lace-weight is in the blocking where the yarn relaxes and opens up and the shawl changes completely. I've finished all the main shawl repeats and am ready to start the wide edging section. I can't wait to block it and see the magic happen!

1 comment:

Taking Heart said...

Impressive. My mom has something similar that her aunt made for her... old and yellowed now. I think she's going to dye it or tea stain it...