Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Monday, October 03, 2011

Cheery Flowers & Purple Lace


I have been super sick with a nasty lung infection these past 6 weeks. It started as the flu and went deep into my lung. So .... there hasn't been a whole lot of creative crafting here lately. I can now drive about town without coughing up a lung (lol) and on my first grocery trip went out to buy some cheery flowers for the house. I love having fresh flowers around the house!

I also was on the mend enough to squeak in one quick project, this lilac lace bowl.


This is stiffened to hold its shape with hot liquid sugar. I worry about bugs and heat using the sugar, although I haven't had any problems to date. Maybe I'll try starch or some plasticizing art compound next time, if I make another. I shaped this one over the back of my mixing bowl, but you can really shape the lace over anything and make all kinds of intriguing shapes. Just remember to line your object with clingwrap first if it can't be washed later - the sugar is very sticky and dribbles all over!

Still sick and coughing, but much improved and hopefully getting better and better every day now!

3 comments:

Grateful4Crochet said...

This looks amazing!!
Glad ur feeling better

Waterrose said...

Sorry to hear you have been ill. I had something like that about a year ago...freaking hearing my lung crackling! The lace bowl is beautiful. You can also try a watered down version of elmer's glue.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

sure hope you're feeling better; six weeks is a l.o.n.g. time! beautiful bowl; well done.