Musings of a Designer on Jewelry, Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Knitting, Running a Crafty Business, Movie Costumes, Books, Art, Design, Steampunk & the Geek Girl Life

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Garden Goodness!

Look at my lettuce! Wow!! My family and I have really amped up the home veggie gardening this year and this is our first "crop" of the season. What wonderful salads it will make!The kids get such joy every year out of watching and helping the plants grow and then harvesting their goodness. Such a wonderful way to get children involved in healthy eating!

We also are fortunate enough to live in an area where you can order a box of farm-fresh, local organic produce to be delivered to your doorstep. We get ours from Organic to You. We love the mystery of opening the box every week and discovering what wonders lurk inside. It's a great way to get exposed to different things you might not ordinarily cook with.
Here's a pic of the inside of this box. Yum! The upper "greens" part of many vegetables is often still attached and I have to admit, as a city girl, I am often stumped by whether you can eat those leaves in the first place and .... if you can, how do you prepare them. Anyone know some good recipes for carrot top greens??

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, your lettuce looks so yummy! My hubby and I have raised bed gardens but we didn't do any salad greens this year. That's something I want to try next year. How neat that you're able to get organically grown produce delivered to your home. We've been taking flower and herb plants to Farmer's Market and we'll be taking vegetables if we have any left over.

Hugs XX
Barbara

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Well done! The lettuce looks wonderful so I'm thinking wilted lettuce for supper.

Gina said...

Congratulations on your beautiful garden. I was unaware of Organics to you, how interesting!